A haven for anybody who loves quintessential fall flavors, this Gluten Free Apple Crisp contains a deep, nutty pecan crunch, a heat spike of cinnamon, and a comfy, tender apple filling, all wrapped in a yummy crumb topping. It’s simpler to make than apple pie and the proper apple recipe for that orchard haul!
Why You’ll Love This Apple Crisp with Oats
- You’d By no means Guess it’s Gluten Free. Like my Blackberry Crisp, this gluten free apple crisp makes use of no flour, as an alternative choosing rolled oats and floor almond flour to create an ideal, wealthy streusel topping with a lovely crunch. It’s simply as satisfying and delicious as any traditional recipe.
- It’s a Main Crowd-Pleaser. Destined to be topped with ice cream, I’ve little question EVERYONE (regardless of their weight loss plan) will fancy this gluten free apple dessert! Like my Peach Crisp and Strawberry Crisp recipes, nobody can resist how the candy fruit filling and crisp topping style collectively. The dreamy mixture of apples, oats, and cinnamon elicits emotions of nostalgia, coziness, and heat.
- Tremendous Easy to Make. Whereas I really like my Contemporary Apple Cake and apple pie made with Complete Wheat Pie Crust, they takes fairly some time to prepare dinner. Equally, this Apple Turnover is implausible, nevertheless it requires a bit extra prep work. This gluten free apple crisp is comparably quick, simple, and I wager you could have the elements in your kitchen proper now!
5 Star Evaluate
“Superior!! Tried this for a cocktail party and everybody raved about it! Will certainly use it once more.”
— Nancy —
The Distinction Between Crisps and Crumbles
Crisps and crumbles are each baked fruit desserts with a golden, crunchy topping layer. Half the time, folks use the phrases interchangeably.
- Crisps. The topping layer of a crisp, like this recipe and most of my different crisp recipes, normally has a mix of oats, nuts, sugar, butter, flour, and heat spices like cinnamon. The topping is pretty evenly distributed and granola-like.
- Crumbles. The topping layer of a crumble normally omits the oats and nuts, utilizing solely butter, flour, sugar, and spices. The topping is clumpier and extra streusel-like.
Thus, if this have been a gluten free apple crumble (i.e. with out the oats and nuts) it will are inclined to have a subtly totally different texture.
Personally, I am keen on the dimension of the oats and nuts within the topping, which is why I normally bake what’s technically a crisp.
I believe we will all agree…whether or not you name it a crisp or a crumble, it is going to style fairly darn scrumptious!
The right way to Make Gluten Free Apple Crisp
- Gluten Free Rolled Oats. A star in texture, diet, AND the important thing to protecting this crisp really GF. Ensure your oats are processed in an authorized gluten free facility if you’re getting ready this for somebody with celiac, as there might be cross contamination.
- Almond Flour. I ADORE this ingredient! It’s manufactured from finely floor almonds solely and offers the crisp (and actually something you make with it) an unbelievably wealthy taste. (This Gluten Free Carrot Cake is one other certainly one of my favourite desserts that takes benefit of it. You may as well use it for any of those almond flour recipes.)
- Pecans. Along with the oats, pecans add delicious crunch and nuttiness to the topping. (Pecan lovers, don’t miss my Pumpkin Pecan Cobbler.)
- Apples. I like to recommend utilizing Granny Smith, Macintosh, Honeycrisp, Pink Girl, or a mix of those varieties for apple crisp.
- Maple Syrup. Naturally sweetens the filling and provides a delicious, cozy taste. Honey would additionally work fabulously right here.
- Bourbon. As a result of I couldn’t resist, and since the delicate heat vanilla notes in bourbon make it a superb addition. You would use rum as an alternative. If you happen to favor to make your apple crisp with out alcohol, you’ll be able to swap it for water as an alternative.
- Lemon Juice. For a contact of brightness.
- Cinnamon. It’s made to go along with apple crisp!
- Toppings. Ice cream, frozen yogurt, or Greek yogurt. You’ll be able to’t go flawed!
- Stir the Dry Elements Collectively. That is the beginning of our topping.
- Stir within the Butter. Ensure the combination is evenly moistened.
- Put together the Filling. Stir collectively the apple slices with the opposite filling elements.
- Fill the Baking Dish. Switch the apple filling combination to a baking dish. Scatter the oat combination excessive.
- Bake the Crisp. Bake gluten free apple crisp at 350 levels F for 45 to 55 minutes. DIG IN!
- Vegan Apple Crisp. For a vegan, dairy-free apple crisp, take a look at my Vegan Apple Crisp recipe.
- Gluten Free Apple Crisp for a Crowd. To scale up this recipe for 8 or extra folks, I like to recommend following the identical recipe by utilizing 1.5 instances the elements and baking it in a 9”x13” pan.
- Gluten Free Apple Crisp for Two or for One. If you happen to need to make this recipe in a smaller amount, I like to recommend chopping down the elements to one-third and even one-fourth of these listed within the recipe. Then, portion it into particular person ramekins for baking (be sure your ramekin is oven protected).
- To Retailer. Refrigerate crisp in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F.
- To Freeze. Sure, gluten free apple crisp might be frozen. Let the crisp cool utterly. Tightly cowl it or place it in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container. Freeze the crisp for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
Assemble proper up till the purpose of baking. Tightly cowl your apple crisp, and lay it flat within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then bake as directed.
Spoon leftover crisp over a bowl of vanilla Greek yogurt for a delicious breakfast.
What to Serve With Gluten Free Apple Crisp
- Baking Dish. The right dimension for the apple crisp recipe.
- Mixing Bowls. This set has each dimension you want, they usually’re dishwasher-safe.
- Rubber Spatulas. I really like this colourful set of everyday-use spatulas.
Recipe Suggestions and Methods
- Use Contemporary Apples. I don’t suggest making gluten free apple crisp with canned apples. The feel of canned apples will utterly break down as soon as the crisp bakes (we wish the apples tender, however not mushy).
- Peel the Apples. When you don’t need to peel the apples for apple crisp, I favor to peel them. Because the crisp’s topping of oats and nuts brings the A+ crunch recreation, I discover the apples’ peels detract from the crisp’s stability of texture.
- Shield the Topping. In case your topping is baking sooner than your filling (aka it’s getting too brown), go forward and tent the baking dish with foil. This may defend the topping whereas permitting the apples beneath to bake slightly longer.
- Strive a Selection. If attainable, use quite a lot of apples in your crisp. Not solely will every apple present a barely distinctive taste, however the texture of every apple will range too. This ensures your crisp has some deliciously creamy apple bites and a few which can be extra agency.
For the Topping:
- 1 cup quaint rolled oats
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup pecan halves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the Filling:
- 2 1/2 kilos combined apples similar to Granny Smith, Macintosh, Honeycrisp, and Pink Girl, peeled, cored, and minimize into 1/2-inch-thick wedges (about 6 medium apples)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or rum or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons floor cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Vanilla ice cream frozen yogurt, or Greek yogurt, for serving
Place a rack within the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Frivolously coat a 9×9-inch or equally sized baking dish with non-stick spray.
In a medium bowl, stir collectively the oats, almond flour, brown sugar, pecans, and salt.
In a microwave-safe bowl within the microwave (or a saucepan on the range), soften the butter. Pour excessive of the oat combination. With a fork or rubber spatula, stir till the crumbs are evenly moistened.
To a big mixing bowl, add the apples, maple syrup, bourbon, cinnamon, lemon juice, and cornstarch. With an enormous spoon, stir to mix.
Scoop the apples and any liquid that has collected on the backside of the bowl into the ready baking dish into a fair layer. Will probably be very full. Nudge the apple slices round a bit in order that they lay pretty flat.
Along with your palms, squeeze chunks of the crumb combination collectively to create clumps of varied sizes, and place them on prime of the apples. Scatter any remaining crumb combination excessive.
Bake the crisp till the apples are tender (it’s possible you’ll want to make use of a fork to peek down beneath that beneficiant topping and examine on the apples) and the crumb topping is crisp and deep golden brown, about 45 to 55 minutes. Test the crisp midway by means of, then periodically throughout baking; if at any level, the topping browns extra shortly than you want to, tent the pan with foil to guard the crust, then proceed baking as directed. Serve heat with an enormous scoop of ice cream.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate crisp in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350°F.
- TO FREEZE: Let the crisp cool utterly. Tightly cowl it or place it in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container. Freeze the crisp for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- TO FREEZE UNBAKED: Tightly cowl your apple crisp, and lay it flat within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then bake as directed.
Serving: 1(of 6)Energy: 549kcalCarbohydrates: 74gProtein: 6gFats: 27gSaturated Fats: 9gLdl cholesterol: 30mgPotassium: 363mgFiber: 9gSugar: 53gVitamin A: 452IUVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 96mgIron: 2mg
Be part of right now and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.
Especialista en medicina de emergencias
Aspirante a Magister en educación
Aspirante a Magister en Telesalud